22 June 2008

'Siew yoke' and bacon

After a whole week of busy drafting in the office and rushing around, I decided that I would have to do some things new and different come Saturday morning.

The first was air drying the piece of belly pork before roasting.


Fortunately, it was a beautiful sunny morning and the pork meat has a good airing.



And this was how the 'siew yoke' turned out after 20 mins of roasting and another 10 mins or so of top grilling. The skin crackled but I've still yet to perfect the seasoning.

At the same time, B1 was help me coat streaky bacon with brown sugar to make caramelised bacon. This was prep work for Nigel's very unique 'Bacon & Egg' cake recipe which called for bits of caramelised bacon in it.

I was thrifty about the brown sugar although the recipe called for generosity. These were put into the oven to grill for 25 mins.



The finished bacon smelt and tasted a lot like the chinese 'long yoke'.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can only give comments after i get to eat the Mr.Siew Yoke and Miss Bacon, will expect an event invitation from you at facebook.
;)

mumster said...

Let me perfect it first, then can invite you for an event. :D

Allan Yap & Nigel A. Skelchy said...

hey luv, great blog ;-)

might like to try air drying the meat in the fridge. Less chance for bacteria to develop. I usually leave it overnight for real dryness...

Unknown said...

WAHHH SOOOOO YUMMY LOOKING!!

Cook for us next time ah!!